Sunday, May 26, 2013

My first manuscript since I got courage

Courage is a strange thing. One day you think you have it, the next you're pretty sure it doesn't exist. I like to think I have an over abundant amount, but I'll let you in on a secret. I'm sort of a coward.
1. I hate rollercoasters. The last one I rode, I got off crying.
2. I'm terrified that my house will catch on fire. When I was a kid and my parents would go for walks at night I was terrified the house would catch on fire and I wouldn't be able to get my siblings out. True story.
3. I fear people being mad at me. Don't know why. It bothers me.
4. I'm terrified that I'll never accomplish my dream of becoming an author. The rejection doesn't bother me as much as the failure.
       A few months ago, while driving my 3AM paper route, I had an idea. An angel loves a demon, gets sent to earth as punishment to  live a mortal term, loses her memories, finds her demon love, gets some memories back, is betrayed by said love and nearly dies. Wow. That night I had to backtrack to throw papers because I hadn't been paying attention. Luckily I didn't miss anyone that day.
       The story rattled around in my brain for a while, pestering me in the wee morning hours. Finally I decided to write a bit of it down hoping that it would leave me alone. I'd given up my idea of being an author at that point. The idea didn't stop at a few lines. It flowed until I did it. Had a completed manuscript. Yay!
        The story is just a first draft, I have to get it smoothed out, but I have some Beta readers that are helping me out. Kerry Blair has been extremely helpful in editing my work, calming my fears and pushing me to try. Robison Wells was kind enough to answer some of my questions on Twitter about getting published.
        So here I am, finishing my novel, looking for an agent. Fingers crossed I find one!

No comments:

Post a Comment